Built by the Romans in the 1st century BC at the time of the Emperor Augustus, it was saved from ruin at the beginning of the 17th century. The lions placed at each end of the arches are the most important decorative elements. It has been restored many times and is now a listed monument. It is 22 metres long and 6 metres wide and allowed the Romans to cross the Touloubre.
Destroyed by a flood of the Touloubre, it was rebuilt in 1750. You can reach this bridge by walking along the Touloubre from the Pont Flavien.
On 18 December 1863, the "La Goule" tunnel collapsed.
Saint-Chamas was cut in two and deprived of water. After a long and costly clearing, a 62m long and 23m high aqueduct was built. The clock dates from 1902. You can access it and admire the panorama that will be offered to you.
There are two kinds of caves, some natural but few in number, others dug from 1615 onwards to allow the storage of goods from the port, to serve as mills or as shelters. In the 18th century, these caves began to be used as housing.
The last vestige of the wall surrounding Old Saint-Chamas, it dates from the 15th century.
The rise of the Pénitents owes its name to the Chapel of the "Pénitents Blancs", destroyed in 1936, located on the square, which is now a public garden.
It overlooks the pond and the village and was famous for its ex-votos. Some of these naive paintings have been restored and are now in the Museum. It is also called "Chapelle de la Vierge".
The chapel can be visited by appointment. Please contact 06.20.96.89.63.
18th century washhouse formerly reserved for the contagious.
A rather exceptional monument due to its length and curve. It has 49 arches and is 25 metres high. It was built between 1843 and 1847 for the Paris-Lyon-Marseille line.
It was built between 1660 and 1668 by the Aix architect Pierre Pavillon. The bell tower, built on stilts, was completed in 1740. The façade, a jewel of Provençal baroque style, contrasts with the sobriety of the almost bare interior. The second chapel, to the right of the entrance, is adorned with a magnificent half-relief altarpiece depicting episodes from the life of the Virgin Mary: the Sainte-Anne altarpiece (16th century).
The church can be visited in the morning from 9am to 12pm.
Located on the Place des Pénitents in the heart of the old village, the municipal museum has been installed since 1952 in the former 17th century town hall. It allows us to discover our local history thanks to its ethnography room, which is mainly made up of donations from Saint-Chamassens. Beautiful votive offerings from the Chapel of Our Lady of Mercy adorn the staircase leading to the second floor where a magnificent room houses numerous paintings by René Seyssaud, Pierre Ambrogiani, Vincent Monte, Maurice Berle, Jean Ordonneaud and many local artists. An archaeology room presents the results of the excavations of Paul Lafran and his team.The Museum is open from Monday to Friday from 2pm to 5pm. Tel: 04.90.50.85.61.
The Etang de Berre is the largest saltwater lake in Europe with a surface area of 15,500 ha and 80 km of shoreline. The pond and its wetlands (such as La Petite Camargue) are an important place of biodiversity in the region. The town has created a promenade along the banks of the lake. A children's playground and a skate park have been created, which will satisfy the whole family.
It was built at the end of the 18th century to allow the development of trade and commerce in the region. Today, the main fish caught here are mug, bass, eel and some crabs and sea bream.
The Marina is also called the "Port Notre Dame". It was built in 1980.
There are 245 year-round berths and 35 "passenger" berths.
Mr HESSE Nicolas
Tél : 04.90.44.52.52/06.03.52.56.99